Monday, October 4, 2010

Importance of Family

So this past weekend, I got a taste of bachelorhood once again. It wasn't quite the same as it was pre-family. In fact, I realized how out of touch I was with the scene away from home.

The girls left on Friday to visit Gammy (Grandma Nave) in Nebraska. Rocco and I were holding down the fort. On Friday afternoon, when I returned from work, the house was eerie. It was quiet and it felt cold. Now I understand that it was cold outside and that transferred into the house. But it was a different cold. Time went by depressingly slow. Luckily, Ross was around and we hung out. The whole weekend was kind of nuts. I didn't sleep very well (despite my thinking that I might sleep extraordinarily well considering there was no one there to wake me up at random times). I didn't even really make it upstairs and crashed on the couch.

I did get quite a bit of errands around the house done, including ripping out the carpet in the play room. All in all, this weekend gave me a realization as to how amazing family really is. Even when Madeline spills something or irritates me past the point of frustration, or Millie wakes up a couple times or doesn't fall asleep to begin with, I definitely did not like being apart from that. Family is something to be cherished and always appreciated. "Do not boast about tomorrow for you never know what a day may bring forth." Proverbs 27.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful essay on relationships-- especially the core of being a family man.

Your introspection and honesty are admirable, Todd.

Love,
Aunt Deborah